“Mastering Energy Supply focusing on Isolated Areas – MESfIA” is a new ERASMUS+ EU funded project that bringstogether EU and South East Asian countries to develop education and training at Postgraduate level on variousaspects of energy engineering, dedicated to isolated regions and mainly islands.
Education on Intelligent Energy Systems, covering Energy Management, Renewable Energy Sources (RES)utilization, Energy conservation, Intelligent materials application to energy sector and Demand Side managementhave become a reality on most countries. However, there is need for moresystematic training on the aforementionedissues for application on the fragile environment of isolated areas of South East Asian Countries.
In line with Sustainable Development Goals 4, 7, 11 and 13, MESfIAemphasizes in providing, via existing or newMSc programs of the partner countries, the capability to apply specific skills to help in the more efficient energy supplyof isolated areas.
The project targets engineers/scientists at Post-Graduate level – preferably, focusing on countries with electrificationissues and/or many islands; Higher Education Institutions, willing to strengthen collaboration between EU and AsianUniversity; and current or future employees of the global and local energy industry.
MESfIA is implemented by highly experienced partners in Greece, France, United Kingdom, Spain, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia and will run from November 2018 to November 2021.
About the project
Mastering Energy Supply for Isolated Areas (MESfIA) aims to provide high quality postgraduate education on energy supply systems for engineers and graduates from science departments, aiming to have activity or to be employed in projects in countries with many isolated areas and insular systems. It is a co-operation activity between EU and S.E. Asian Countries (namely Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia) to improve capacity of Postgraduate Students in S.E. Asian Universities.
Among the objectives of the project are:
- To define best practices of courses including procedures and requirements for certification of the achieved qualification in energy systems at regional/national level and recommendations to stakeholders.
- To define best practices for implementation vocational of training including incentives for energy systems’ professionals to qualify and find financial resources.
- Such programms will help EU HEIs to collaborate with Asian HEIs in problems that may be common like energy efficiency, coastal and island areas.
- By the end of the project,graduates from the adapted MSc or new MSc programs in the Partner Countries HEIs should be able to claim their expertize on improving energy supply conditions in isolated areas.
- An ambition of the project is to attract students from areas with problems in energy supply and prepare them to have activity in the energy sector in their own homeland.As South-East Asia is a bridge between Asia and multi-island Pacific Area, students from these areas could be reached as well as a follow-up of this project
- Realizing the difficulties in Isolated Environments and the associated peculiarities with energy management on such systems
- Training of Engineers at Post Graduate Level so that they can cope with the aforementioned peculiarities and become ready for applying intelligent solutions to energy supply of isolated areas. Some of these soultions could be applied in stronger power systems as well
- Establishing EU-Asia co-operation at regional level-island regions-common problems require common solutions and the young generation of scientists and engineers should be aware of the potential solutions.
- Transform existing MSc programs to targeted MSc programs for isolated areas
- Establishing legal recognized MSc titles so that the students can take advantage of participation in applying for jobs in regions with relatively low electrification level and many islands.
- Engineers/scientists at Post-Graduate level residing in countries with island or low electrification rate.
- Higher Education Institutions willing to undertake similar actions.
MESfIA ITB Team
Institut Teknologi Bandung
Jalan Ganesha no.10 Bandung 40132
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/mesfia_itb
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Mesfia-ITB-112605253454920/ / https://www.facebook.com/mesfia.itb.id
Find out more about the project:
This project has received funding from the European Union’s
ERASMUS+ programme under grant agreement No. 2018-2490/001-001.